Friday, January 16, 2009

The Dusty Path

Since Soni started preschool, it has become painfully obvious that Bingham will soon follow. Although he as a few years to go it has got me thinking about what in the world I will do when he does...*tear*.
The obvious choice would be to do whatever I need to do to renew my teaching licence. I've been casually looking online to try to figure out how to do this, and then yesterday I really got serious, even waiting on hold for a half hour to get some of my questions answered. So, it seems it won't be to hard to do, although it will take a bit of time; the hardest...or at least scariest part is getting back into it all...being professional isn't really something I do naturally. Then there is the math. I love math, that's why I chose the subject, but it has been soooo long since I have really had to solve any serious problems....can I even find the path that leads to that dusty corner of my brain?

Last night I got a call from the Jarman's. What do you know, they needed some help with a math problem. In my mind I was thinking, "Great, I'm going to be humbled in front of my super smart niece and nephew...this must be the Lord's way of telling me I need to stay home forever".

Turns out, I DID know how to do it, and was greatly surprised at how familiar, and fun the dusty path was. (Perhaps, it could be noted here, that after I hung up the phone there was a small dance and some flexing of muscles.) Of course, it wasn't without doubt, and I laid awake in bed to figure out why 10 wasn't the answer (see Mary's post)...it only took a minute, and I slept in peace.


My degree is for teaching grades 6-12, but a challenging 5th grade problem is a good place to start. Thanks Meg and Jeran, and I still need lots of practice to refresh my memory, so feel free to call me anytime!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Don't worry Es; that was no fifth grade problem. They do let us know it requires algebra to work it out and the point is that the kids and parents are being introduced to algegra gradually so no one freaks out. They tell us we can help them, and just by figuring it out and talking through it they start to be familiar with the concepts. I love that you're thinking about going back. There is nothing like a good teacher!

Mary said...

jeran says........ dont give me credit! megan wanted the right answer, not me! (but i got it wrong!)

Kim said...

How exciting to get to try to figure out what to do with the "rest of your life". At least you have the qualifications to back up teaching again. That is wonderful!