Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fun Times

With a week off school there was a lot to catch up on, and "fun times" was pretty high on our list. More specifically the bike park. We went this spring and the kids loved it so much they have been asking ever since to go back. Phil even took the day off last minute so he could come too.
 
The teeter totter that Austin is going over below is tricky. I tried it once  and had no desire to do it again. It's pretty skinny and plus it's a teeter totter. Austin has just enough guts and skill to do it pretty well.

It took Eve a couple tries, but she kept working at it and some of the other ramps until she could do them all. Then she got off her bike for a break. She asked if it was normal for her arms to still be shaking that bad. I was impressed that she kept working at it so hard when her body was telling her to go sit in the shade.

Soni worked hard getting better at the sharp turns and steep little hills and sang songs the whole time. She even crashed once in order to get out of Bingham's way so he wouldn't crash....what a sister.

After a while I told Eve and Austin I would go up with them to the big hill and get some pictures. They came down the hills in good form and such focus.

It paid off and they caught some good air.



 

This was the last run of the day and I think Austin felt a little pressure to make it a good one. On each jump there is a high one and a low one. They both had been using the low one until this time.

Austin hit the high jump and went a little higher than we both planned. The top of the hill is about 10 feet flat before it drops down hill again. Ausin completely cleared the top and didn't hit for a good way down the hill.

I didn't see it, but he said he landed and held it for a second then lost it. He came walking back up the hill with blood running down his face. Later he told me his tooth was stuck in his lower lip and he had to push it out with his tongue...lovely. But it wasn't his lip that was making me nervous, it was the chunk of chin hanging down from his um..chin. It must not have hurt too bad (whatever) because he insisted we eat lunch before we took him to get it stitched up.

This was our first emergency trip with the kids and I think it was a good one. Phil and I were both there so he took the kids while I went with Austin. It wasn't such a huge emergency that we couldn't logically think our way through the insurance process and make sure we were covered there. It was a good learning experience....would it be horrible to say I'm grateful for such an easy accident to learn on.

We were in and getting stitched up in less than a half hour after lunch and I made it all the way to the third stitch before I almost lost my cookies. Such a strange experience, one minute I'm completely fascinated by the needle and raw flesh and the next, the room is feeling a little hot and I have to hang onto the side of the bed so I don't tip over. Luckily there was only four stitches and I made it by sheer will power to not look like a pansy in front of my kid. 



But the fun didn't stop there. While we were waiting for the nurse to come back with our papers, Austin got a little bored and stuck his fingers in the holes at the end of the bed...both hands.




They were stuck tight and when the nurse came back I was trying to work some soap down inside to get them out. She pulled out the packets of lubricating jelly and within 5 minutes had him free. Hope they didn't charge for that one, I don't know if our insurance covers stupidity. (I can say that because I too remember having my finger stuck tight and needing my dad and a whole lot of dish soap to get it out.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And you don't remember putting your teeth through your lip?

Kristi said...

looks like fun, except maybe the finger part . . . and the stitches. I can't believe how grown up Austen is.