Sunday, March 27, 2011

What's Next?

The week started on a high note, Eve's Destination Imagination group did awesome at their local competition (1st place) and qualified for the state tournament. Yay...happy day, I've never seen 5 tween girls text so much so fast. (I'm sure it would have been 6 girls, but yes, it seems Eve is the only girl in the universe that doesn't have a cell phone). Of course the state tournament is on the same day as a race we all wanted to do and the Stake Activity Days activity in which I am already highly committed.

Then the real fun started.

Monday we had computer problems and too many people wanting our money. A lot of our money.

Tuesday our neighbor accused our dog (Tess) of killing her goat...no proof, but she was pretty certain...to the tune of asking us for $300 certain. I felt so bad for her I almost agreed until I realized it was highly unlikely that it was our dog.

Wednesday I had to visit her face to face and tell her so...that's a little out of my comfort zone. I thought the conversation went well, but her son, Austin's best friend who is a permanent fixture at our house, hasn't been by since it all happened. Wednesday afternoon I went to back the car out of the garage and broke the garage door...with the van on the inside. After a few moments of panic and false attempts in using Bingham's help I was able to brace the track up with a 2X4 and hold my breath as I backed the van out and made it to my dentist appointment on time. 

Thursday I found a new home for Tess. Guilty or not, I think we knew from the start we couldn't keep her, it was just a matter of finding the right home for her. If I was a dog person, I would really be missing her right now....but we all know, I'm not a dog person. :-( 



Friday was extremely uneventful as far as bad luck goes but on Saturday it was back with a vengeance as our soap holder in the shower came off the wall along with 4 tiles exposing nasty, moldy 2X4's and scaring Bingham half to death. The bathroom was in pretty bad shape when we bought this place, but I just kept hoping it would hold on just a little bit longer.

All this would amount to a horrible week if it hadn't all been so comical. It has us asking, "What next?" In fact, we have even laughed at the thought. Just last week I had a whole conversation with Soni about bad luck and what it was and how it's not an actual religious belief even though Saint Patrick was a saint...and now I think I'm almost a believer, but I don't recall any breaking mirrors, black cats or ladders in my path.

Besides, as the saying goes, all's well that ends well, and it has. Trevor walked Phil through our computer problems, and I was able to convince our old carrier that they didn't really need all our money. Phil fixed the garage door and it actually opens a lot smoother and easier now. Austin's friend will be back....it's Spring Break and I know he drives his mom crazy when he's home all day. Tess is in a really good home with a family that lets her in the house and sleep on their son's bed, and although I know she will always love me more, I'm sure she'll be very happy there. Our shower is fixed for now, thanks to Phil and a whole lot of epoxy. Now we can get serious saving up to get it done right...and that will be nice.

And at the end of this day, I am still excited for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think it matters how many mirrors you break (me and Adrienne have broken about 5 in the last couple years). Things are a little tough right now, but I wouldn't call that bad luck, just having a baby and watching your family grow! oh an not working to watch your family grow.

I hope next week goes much better for you.

Mary said...

What a week! It makes you want to do things like forgot to open the garage door (or lock the keys in the car, which I did a few weeks ago).