Friday, November 6, 2009

Haloween Vacation

Halloween vacation?

Who takes a Halloween vacation?

Apparently, we do.

I know it was almost a week ago, but with birthdays, relief society craft night, tilling the garden, cleaning my house (after a week of no cleaning) and unpacking those darn bags.....whatever, here I am.

A speedy round trip through Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Wyoming isn't usually a good idea this time of year, but this one was totally worth it.

The roads were a bit messy at times, but luckily there was not a lot of traffic (all sane people stayed home) so we just took our time and enjoyed the scenery.



In the end, it only took us about an hour longer than usual. Did I mention the scenery? So beautiful.


We got to South Jordan just in time for Halloween party #1. The kids love to see their cousins and costumes only added to the fun. We had a nice family dinner with a few of Phil's brothers and sisters and a lovely discussion about the funding of public education....that'll heat things up.

The next day, Grandma and Phil took the kids swimming and then we went to temple square. It was such a good time. We've been many times before, but I think I spent most of my time chasing kids up and down the escalators (in fact, I remember when I was younger, being chased on those very escalators), but this time was different. The kids seemed to get it, and not just for a minute, but they were really reverent and interested in the pictures and stories. I love the interactive displays downstairs in the visitor's center (yes, there was a little escalator play then), we were able to spend a lot of time down there.

Then my favorite, always has been, is walking up to the large statue of Christ, I always feel the Spirit so strong here. I think I could just sit there for quite a while and just soak it all in. While we were there, there was another little family taking pictures of their kids in front of the statue. There was a little girl Soni's age and without even hesitation, Soni went up to her and gave her a flower to hold in her picture, cause every girl should have a flower to hold when getting her picture taken, and then when the picture was done the little girl gave it back, cause of course it wasn't to keep. So cute.




It was a little chilly outside, but we walked around to the reflection pool, and here's my reflective boy.....



.....or maybe he's just bored...hehe.


We really miss being close to family and it was so good to be there now, even if it was a short visit...this alone would have been worth the trip.


After lunch we zipped on up to Juniper for Halloween party #2. This party is always so fun....and just about the only party I'll dress up for. Phil's a scarecrow and I'm his crow. Eve's a mascaraed ball girl, Austin is an army dude, Soni is a Butterfly Girl (that's her own made up super hero) and Bingham is Superman; I tried to convince him to be Austin's grenade, but he had a stubborn two year old moment and wouldn't go for it.

Saturday, after all kind of kid juggling (THANK YOU, MELISSA), we hit the road to Twin Falls for reason this whole trip was planned in the first place. So happy Mike and Michelle shared this amazing moment with us, and I never get tired of being in the temple with my family.....there is more clarity and purpose to all of it, and I am so grateful for that time. Whenever we are able to meet like this, it always surprises me how obvious the holes are....those who couldn't make it were definitely missed.

That night we drove back to Juniper and got the kids for Halloween party #3. This was the first actual trick-or-treating we did (thank goodness) and the kids got loot! I got to take Bingham around this time and he was so funny. Everybody we passed that was dressed up he would point at and laugh a good belly laugh, like each time he was completely surprised that someone else was dressed up. It only took him about two cars to catch on to the game of asking politely for candy, he would even ask other kids that had full buckets for "trick-or-treat". So much fun, til Phil stole his popcorn ball....not the proudest Daddy moment, and in his defense, he did give it back.

We didn't get much time to be with Mom and Dad, so that night we stayed up a little late (a little celebration for the time change) talking. Bingham actually came and crawled up on my lap and told me he was ready for bed....then fell asleep...yep, I'm that kind of a mom.


Then, all that was left was the 11 hour drive home. I let the kids have free reign on their candy and after 10 1/2 hours Bingham slipped into a sugar coma and didn't even wake up when I changed his clothes and put him to bed. I think we're all acclimated to long road trips but the stretch through Wyoming can be a little long; then just when you think you'll keel over if you see one more pile of dirt, God rewards you with this. K, I know, the picture doesn't quite capture it, but my soul did.



1 comment:

Becky said...

Love it Es! I like the group shot by the trunk! So glad you made it! Maybe you'll have to do a "Halloween vacation" more often:)