So, they did it, they are sore, but they did it. Eve and Austin ran their first 5K. Phil went with Austin and I hung with Eve. Bingham rode in the stroller with Phil and Soni stayed with some friends at the park by the finish line. Of course Austin took off pretty fast at the beginning, but as I saw him disappearing down the street I thought he looked pretty comfortable with his pace. Of course, that's what I thought last time and he ended up getting scared and turning the wrong way and getting lost.....not exactly the happy running experience I wanted him to have. That was five months ago, and this time Phil jogged along to keep him, um....found.
Eve was willing enough in the beginning, and by beginning I mean the first three blocks; then she walked.....slow. OK, fine, I can deal with this, I can smile as the slowest of the slow speed past....really, maybe I'm a little competitive, but trust me, I can deal. The problem came when the whining began. Nope, not going to happen. We talked about this before, she knew how long it was, and that it would be hard and no one was forcing her to do it, but once we paid the money and signed up, there was no going back. Yes, I got a little frustrated....and so did she. Finally at about the half way point (obviously no turning around here, since you have to turn around to get back to the finish) she lightened up and we found a little humor in it, and we made some deals and ran a little more than walked, and as we came around the corner to the finish there was Soni, Austin and Bingham to cheer her on (Phil had been whooping and hollering for the last half mile) she found a little more speed and finished strong. (48:ish) On the way home she even said she wanted to to another one, but only if I ran with her....hmmmm, not sure if I'm up for that one :)
Austin did awesome, in fact the only real downside was that I didn't get to see him. He finished in 28:38, and won his division. Now he wants to run the 5 mile run coming up in October, maybe by then his muscles will not feel so sore and he can get up and down without crying.
2 comments:
Way to go guys! Can't wait to do one with you...GREAT JOB!
What's family fun without a little whining...
Post a Comment