Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's all good....a little too good.

This has been a week full of good news and fun times.

It's finally light enough in the morning for me to go running without being scared out of my mind, and I ran 5 out of 7 days, and better yet, it felt good. Saturday there was a 5K/5Mile race in Canon City. I was tempted to just do the 5K, since I've only been running 3-4 miles anyway, but I have some good friends who convinced me to run the 5 mile. I was a bit nervous, I'm not really the type to just be happy to finish a race like this, I have this competitive side that I try to repress, but always shows up in places like this. Anyway, I ran it, had an awesome race and got third in my age group, forth in the women's, and eleventh over all. It all felt good and really just the kick in the pants I need to get serious about another competition that I have been avoiding. (Melissa, I can't wait to have some negative numbers to report soon!)

Sorry to be bragging, but unfortunately I'm not done. I also won first place in salsa competition at our ward party. The best part was seeing the surprise on my kid's faces...."Holy cow! Somebody actually likes Mom's cooking!" Ok, so I didn't actually cook the salsa, I used the recipe Sarah sent out a few years ago as a starter and added a little bit of this and that, but today all children completely enjoyed dinner, with lots of compliments....maybe there's hope for me yet. Oh, and I got this really cool plant as a prize....much cooler than the little white ribbon from the race. (My computer and camera are not getting along right now, I'll have to post a picture of it later when they both calm down).

The good news doesn't stop there. We finally bought a tiller for our garden. This was causing a lot of stress for me. I want a huge garden, I have room for a huge garden, but I only own a shovel. The tiller we wanted we couldn't afford and the one we could afford, we didn't want. Well, the stars aligned this weekend and our coveted tiller went on sale...big time. We had been trying to turn it on our own, and it was getting very frustrating and I was starting to think this garden thing was just not going to happen. We would have still had our little boxes, and maybe some potatoes....but now, all is right in spring time. I know you're all on the edge of your seats with this, but you'll have to wait for a later date to hear about my awesome drip system I'm going to hook up.

At some point maybe I should have given some serious thought to why so many good things were happening all at once. Looking back now, I can see I was being buttered up for the kill....which came this morning disguised as a phone call from my bishop. He ask for Phil and I to meet with him before church. It's about time to reorganize the primary and I was a little worried I might get promoted, but to be honest, I mess enough stuff up I was pretty sure they wouldn't do that to me. I knew the primary had asked for Phil to be a permanent sub for our senior classes, so I was hoping that would be it. Boy was I wrong. Relief Society, first counselor...oy. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the sisterhood, I support women and their purpose however I can, but this calling requires me to give up primary, and I'm not so down with that. At the moment, I couldn't even breathe...or all I could do is breathe, to even keep from falling apart completely. I can't imagine not thinking of, planning for and being a part of these kid's lives anymore....just like that. I know, I'll still see them around and such, but it's just not the same. I'm still going to go down and help where I can during Sunday school, and I get to keep helping with activity days for now too, so I will survive, I'm sure. For now I'm off to look up Relief Society stuff, I need a big time refresher course...sigh....watch out ladies, here I come.....or whatever.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

You will be great at the "RS stuff" and you'll probably find that it's more like primary than you thought. Kudo's for the race and salsa competition I very impressed!